Sunday, May 4, 2008

How I Saved a Little Girl's Life




I thought I would share a little story with you today about how simple it is to change one's perspective on an activity in a very short period of time.

This is a story about how one little girl's perspective of fitness changed in a matter of minutes.

A few weeks back my dragged my wife out to the local high school track early one sunday morning to shoot some video for a project that I am working on.

Generally the track is pretty quite but we had gotten off to a late start so it was a little busier than usual at the track.
In particular there was a young family mom and dad probably in their mid-30's with to young girls probably 7 and 10.

It was obivous that mom was really trying to get a workout in and dad was just trying to do a little something while keeping a close eye on the kids.

It wasn't too long before the youngest girl started carrying on how she was bored and she didn't 'want' to run.

As they faded away from us on another lap around the track I could tell that this was only going to get worse.

Sure enough as they came back around the track, there were tears and a near full on temper tantrum.

My wife taking pity on the poor parents and wanting to lend them a hand, had noticed the girls eye balling her pink kettlebell and was going to take it over and let them play with, but I told that might not be so wise and a little heavy for them.

So I reached in my bag and pulled out a reaction ball that I had with me and my wife approached the young girls and started to play with them.

With a look of relief mom and dad both continued on there workout.

This little play session last another 10 minutes or so with the young girls squealing with joy.

I finished my workout and it was time to go home and my wife was wrapping up her 'play' session when the young girl proclaimed 'let's go run' to which the old sister replied with an astonished tone 'she wants to go run' and off they went.

But not before I told my wife to give them the $3 reaction ball.
I figured if I could have any a small impact like that at an early age it might just be worth.




As we packed up our gear and headed toward the truck we could hear the little girls running up to their parent telling them
'Look, they gave it to us'.

Kind of makes you feel good and hopeful.

That little girl turned from anti-fitness to wanting to go run in a matter of 10 minutes.

Why?

Because she started having fun, she was exposed to a new challenge and it inspired her to do more.

All of that is a snapshot of exactly what happens to most adults they, paint themselves into a corner with boring old mundane exercise, get on the treadmill, go through the machine circuit, how freaking boring.

There are a lot of different ways to exercise out there don't paint yourself in corner.
Changing up your routine, it's one of the quickest ways to insure that you:
Get off the couch
and
Back to making progress towards your goals



Troy M Anderson






No comments: