Monday, August 18, 2008

What Gets You Out of Bed

In the business of fitness coaching PROGRESS is paramount to survival if you can’t definitively prove to clients that they are making progress by leaps and bounds, you’re dead.

Period.

And it can’t be skimpy progress like:

1lb per week
¼ inch here a ½ inch there
2% body fat in 12 weeks

Nope that won’t cut it

It needs to be

20lbs in 4 weeks
4% body fat in 6 weeks
4 inches off the waist in 4 weeks

And rightly so they are paying good money for those results and all things being equal a great exercise and nutrition program and an at least 90% compliance by the client; those type of results are completely achievable.

But what happens when, you’ve been exercising for 10, 20, even 30 years; then what?

When you have gotten to and kept ‘the perfect body’

When you have lifted the biggest weight possible

When you have trained for and competed in seemingly every obscure sport under the sun.

Then what?

What gets your butt out of bed, when your back is stiff, your ankles ache, and your body generally feels like someone has beaten it with a lead pipe.

Then what?

What happens when they quit complimenting you for ‘losing all that weight’, when you can’t get that ‘last 10’ stubborn pounds off; or your thighs or abs just won’t seem to ‘tone up’ not matter what you have tried.

Then what?

Let’s face it exercising for ‘health’ is plain boring no matter how you shake it.


Health is barely respectable enough to get most people to sniff their morning coffee; let alone get them to toil away day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, in an effort to be, HEALTHIER.

It just doesn’t work, most will decide it’s not worth it and quit.

Your fitness program has to be something that ‘gets you out of bed’

Do you want to know what gets me out of bed?

I call it the 1-Rep Workout.

Nope it isn’t some miracle workout that is even shorter than the ‘8 minute Abs’, ’12 minute Arms’ or the 4 minute Total Body Workout (although there is a version of this that is very good).

Nope, none of that

It is simple really, after 16 yrs of consecutive training I still haven’t gotten the ‘perfect body’ although I am working on it and I still want to get a lot stronger; and I definitely still have a lot more sport to play.

Yet I have finely honed it down to what gets me ‘out of bed’ for my daily workouts, it is the chance of ‘1 good rep’

That’s all it takes for me to consider it a productive and successful workout.

This concept really hit me as I was working through what might be considered a mediocre training day last Friday.

Long story, short I was down to the last two reps of the workout, using the heaviest weight of the day for some barbell snatches and I was able to finish with 2 very good reps.

And that folks is what gets me out of bed to train no matter how bad I feel physically or mentally.

It is the chance for 1 good rep.

What is your ‘1 good rep’?

Enjoy



Troy M Anderson



Tempe Fitness Boot Camp

No comments: